THE NEW LONDON PLAN IS BEING WRITTEN, IT WILL AFFECT HOW LONDON CHANGES IN THE NEXT 25 YEARS AND ON WHAT GETS BUILT.
Friends of Queen's Market is asking Mayor Boris Johnson to include the following policy for Markets in the new London Plan (With thanks for help from Just Space http://justspace2010.wordpress.com/)
The Mayor will identify and protect London's street and covered markets for their contribution to health, enterprise, local economies and their social value to London.
- recognise the benefits of their markets to health policy, local enterprise policy, social policy, local economic policy
- seek to retain the ownership of markets as a public benefit
- in considering proposals for redevelopment of markets consult with traders and shop keepers and consumers/users of the market
- in considering proposals for redevelopment consider whether this will impact on economically hard-pressed groups
- enable mechanisms to protect the levels of rent necessary for the market's social and locally affordable function
Please sign if you would like to see this policy in the new London Plan:
If you have a few minutes to spare, please print off this petition (10 signatories only) and send it back to us by 25th March 2010. Thank you.
Click: LONDON PLAN PETITION ON MARKETS (Microsoft Word document)